White Girl Got Posole

This winter I saw a lot of people posting about making posole and it peaked my interest. I love food from other cultures, especially Mexican food, but I often stick with the things I love, like tacos and Indian curry and tikki masala. When it comes to ethnic food, I always tend to make it too "white," so I sought out the help of my girlfriend Ana, who's family knows how to throw an awesome fiesta and make the best Mexican food! Here is Ana's family recipe for posole- get some Don Omar playing on Spotify and get to cooking!


You'll need:
Crock pot
Blender
1 can of hominy
Rump roast
Dried Chile California
Dried new Mexico Chiles
Salt
Garlic cloves

Boil 6 new Mexico Chiles and 4 California Chiles
(After they've boiled let them cool down a bit). Put the water and Chiles in a blender.  Add salt and a clove of garlic. Blend until it's a liquid. (It will have small pieces of Chile in it. ) 
Cut the excess fat off the roast.  Cut it into quarters and put into your Crock pot. Strain the liquid from the blender over the meat.
Leave on high for 4-5 hours and check to make sure it shreds with 2 forks. Once it's reached that point put one can of hominy into the Crock pot(without the liquid that comes in the can). Let it cook on warm for another 20-30 minutes and it's done!
Cut up some cabbage, limes, and onion to add to your bowls and sprinkle some died oregano on top too!

1 comment:

  1. ohhh my goodness i LOVE posole! my best friend throughout middle & high school is Mexican and her family alllllways makes it for special occasions.

    ReplyDelete