A Rant to People Who Buy on Etsy.


I deserve to rant every now and then right? Well I have to say, I totally want to bitch right now. I have had a few customers lately who are just so obnoxious. Seriously! Let me first of all say that I work full time in sales and marketing, which also means I am getting calls at weird hours and sometimes I just have to run off at the drop of a hat. We also are amidst painting our kitchen cabinets, which is a task in itself. AND I had the blackout last weekend which means no power, which means no getting any orders done for that whole weekend. I try, every chance I get, to get out every order I can. I assure you that I am not simply spending upwards of 6 hours a day in my home office on Etsy for nothing.


That being said, I have been getting messages from customers that are lightweight harassing. I love my shop and store and it's my livelihood. Hell, sometimes it's more important than anything else in my life! And yes, it's a LOT to take on so much business without hiring an assistant, but I love money and don't want to pay anyone. 

So when I get a message from a customer that says "Hi, it's been a couple weeks and just wanted to check in and see when I can expect my order?" I'm like "Sure, no problem let me check!" But when I get a "Are you purposely not responding? You are lying about shipping my order! I am filing a formal complaint against you!" my first instinct is to want to punch them in the face. Sorry about it. What ever happened to manners? First of all, I am always upfront with my customers to let them know my turnaround time. Secondly, if I sent you a PayPal invoice, it means you have my email address, so send me a private message instead of harassing me publicly on my Instagram. That's just called being super immature. Sometimes things get lost in the mail! It happens, and I don't charge for replacements because I AM A NICE PERSON. So I let the woman know I would be happy to replace her lost items and she continued with the horrific comments. So instead of refunding her, OF COURSE I sent her a brand new tshirt. I hate being nice sometimes. UGH.

Other times I do things like not charge people for major upgrades or custom designs. So I am giving them my time and energy for free and designing something custom that I can never use again, and when they get it and it's SLIGHTLY different than what they wanted,  they want both items replaced. For free. Immediately. Seriously? The design still looks great, I didn't charge a custom fee, and you're going to end up with 3 onesies for $20. And I have 48 orders waiting for my attention, but I have to jump on yours because I am afraid you'll leave me negative feedback. KILL ME.

Okay, that's all I wanted to share. Please don't think I hate my customers, just realize that when you purchase something from Etsy or something handmade, you are likely purchasing from one woman running a shop out of her spare bedroom, which is covered in scraps and glitter and trash and she is probably not charging you for the amount of time she's spending on your order. So be a nice human and give her the benefit of the doubt before attacking her. Just saying.

3 comments:

  1. So glad to read this. I dealt with a crazy customer this weekend too. Let me just tell you she is from Ireland..doesn't speak english very well. The first time she ordered from me she sent me a gazillion messages over one piece that was 3.00. It was insane. That's a whole entire different deal. This time she wanted to order four more pieces. I made her a custom listing and put that the shipping was 10.00. International. Not crazy right? Well apparently I provide horrible customer service and change all my prices on my customers. (By the way, she actually made a youtube video on how much she loved my stuff.) Her first order I charged her only 3 dollars, told her I would pay the extra since I had listed it wrong. Of course since she is ordering FOUR items the shipping would be more because it weighed more. She didn't grasp this at all. So, not sad to see that sale go AT ALL. Sorry you have to deal with that! Guess it just comes with having an Etsy shop. Gotta take the good with the bad! :)

    Lindi
    Sweet Southern Sparkle
    www.sweetsouthernsparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people have no social skills! :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! I have been dealing with this on the other online "e" store this week. Just one after another. Sometimes I feel like I am dealing with zombies. I think when they are this bad it's best to refund them and I don't know if it's possible to block them on Etsy, but at the very least report them and never do business with them again. It seems like when you bend over backwards it backfires; I have gotten to where when they start making demands or are being controlling I won't do what they ask I just stick with my policies strictly or refund them. Something else I have noticed is when they buy one thing they think they are also entitled to a personal guidebook to whatever question they have. It has taught me to be extra patient when I am the customer and I better remember that the person at the other end is a human like me and actually have a life outside of answering all of my questions. You know big companies have a slew of people with multiple departments, when we're running our own estores we're one person running all the departments and orders can't ship out next day. It seems like everything goes well and then all of a sudden several people start having cows at once. I am just shaking my head! Glad to know someone else understands, but I hope it gets better!!!

    ReplyDelete