No Phone Zone.

As a family rule, we decided that every time we are out in public at a restaurant, it is a no-phone zone. We go out to eat a lot (too much!) and I started noticing how easy it was for us to pick up our phones and text (me) and play games (him), so we enacted the policy of no phones. It is awesome. We have always been best friends and confidants, but it adds new level of friendship and conversations when your phone isn't sitting next to you at the table. Even if the phone is on the table next to you, it's distracting! The only time we use our phones when we are out now is to google the answer to a question, and we will both agree on doing so.

This rule has carried over to the dinner table too, and to car rides together. I first noticed it when we were driving down to Disneyland- I am the driver in the relationship (I love to drive and I also sometimes get carsick if someone else drives). I drove all the way to LA and Matt never picked up his phone once. It was amazing. Unless it was to change the music, he didn't even look at his phone. I didn't think much of it until he drove for a few hours and I had such a hard time not checking Instagram or surfing the web. It really made me realize what a great idea it is to take the phone option off the table (literally and figuratively).

I challenge you and your other half to try it. Go one week without using your phone/tablet when you're together and I promise, it will bring you closer than ever!

3 comments:

  1. That's such a good idea! Now, to get my husband on board... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've noticed since moving to Spain that people here are a lot more "disconnected" to technology and it's been so refreshing (and a great reminder to us to put the phones down). Rachel Boulevard

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this idea! My husband and I also don't use our phones when we are out in public. It makes me sad when I see couples just sitting on their phones their whole dinner without having a conversation. I also notice we use our phones when we are in the car way too much. Great idea to make that a rule, too!

    ReplyDelete